June 20-30, 2023
$2,599.00 per person, double
THE FIRST AFRO-CUBANS
From 1789 to 1820, Cuba, an island the size of Pennsylvania, imported more than 800,000 Africans to be sold as slaves, a figure almost double the amount brought to the United States during the transatlantic slave trade. Some census statistics approximate that descendants of enslaved West Africans make up more than half of Cuba’s population today. The U.S. State Department, for instance, estimates that 62 percent of Cubans are of Black or mixed heritage. (From Essence Magazine, August 2022, Johnica Reed Hawkins, author)
Note: This is a learning tour designed for students (high school and college), adults who wish to broaden their horizons thru cultural exchanges, and those who enjoy discovering more about the history and peoples of a destination.
Those who may want to serve as a group leader should reach out to us for more information.
TRIP OVERVIEW: Discover Cuba and immerse yourself in the Afro-Cuban culture through a unique journey visiting key places of the island where you will learn about religion, food, traditions, music, dance and history. A combination of visits and lectures where you will learn more about cultural phenomena such as the tradition of Santería, which has been practiced since the times of slavery and is still rooted in the Cuba of today, as you will see in this 11-day trip. Travel in time and visit the old neighborhoods of Havana, several historical museums and of course, the delicious gastronomy with dishes such as the “Ajiaco”, a great example that defines Cuban society and identity. An experience you can´t miss!
● Visit and explore the city of Havana with our local expert, from the Museum of The Revolution to the picturesque Hamel Alley.
● Visit the town of Matanzas and its San Severino Castle, arrival point for African slaves, and the sugar factory in the town of Trinidad.
● Experience Cuban flavors and the Afro-Cuban culture through inherited recipes and by discovering places such as the hidden Marianao neighborhood.
● Enjoy an exciting Afro-Cuban show feeling the music of the drums.
● Bilingual Staff
● Expert Tour Coordinator during the entire program.
● Orientation session
● One (1) lecture focus on Religion.
● Entrances fees to:
o Cuba: Revolution Museum, exchange with social project, Cannon Blast Ceremony, Hamel Alley, Cooking Workshop, Regla Church, Guanabacoa Museum.
o Matanzas: San Severino Castle
o Viñales: Tobacco Plantation, Indigenous Caves and Prehistorical mural
o Trinidad: Historical museum, San Isidro ruins and pottery house, Live Show at Palenque.
● Local Experts for each visit.
ACCOMMODATIONS AND MEALS:
● Seven (7) nights lodging in 4* hotel in Havana in double/ triple rooms with breakfast included.
● One (1) nights lodging in double rooms in “Casa Particular” in Viñales with breakfast included.
● Two (2) nights lodging in double rooms in “Casa Particular” in Trinidad with breakfast included.
● Three (3) meals as well as Welcome and Farewell dinner included.
● Other meals on own.
● Ground transportation when necessary for all included cultural study trips, excursions, and visits.
● One (1) group airport transfer at the beginning, and one (1) group airport transfer at the end of the program at one designated time.
● Participants arriving/departing outside the arranged group transfer will be responsible for their own transportation arrangements and costs.
OTHER PROGRAM INCLUSIONS:
● Full-time local Group Leader accompaniment
● 24/7 emergency support from on-site staff in Cuba
● For one accompanying professor: all program inclusions, a basic mobile phone (device only, credit not included), and lodging in a single room at homestay with breakfast included in Havana and Trinidad
● Academic Visas
● Tips are included throughout the program
*All rates quoted are subject to change until booked and confirmed.
Initial deposit is non-refundable. If cancellation occurs from 60-30 days before departure,
50% if the total cost is non-refundable. If cancellation occurs from 29-1 days prior to departure,
75% of the total cost is non-refundable. After travel commences on July 11, 100% of the cost is
Travel insurance is strongly recommended. Request a quote, please.
Deposits: $350.00 per person due December 1, 2022. Full payment due by March 30, 2023